Starting in March, Yangyang International Airport will become a little more special.
1. Located closest to the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games venue, Yangyang International Airport is Gangwon’s Gate in the sky.
- Runway Length 2,500m; 43,000 takeoffs and landings in a year (118 takeoffs and landings in a day)
- Yangyang International Airport can accommodate A-320 (277 seats)
- 3.17 million passengers (8,685 passengers per day) and 498 parking spots
2. Starting in March 1, 2016, Yangayang International Airport will change:
- Visa-waiver transfer period in Yangang International Airport will be extended to 10 days from 120 hours(5 days).
- Chinese group tourist entering Korea through Incheon and Gimpo Airports can now travel to Gangwon Province, in addition to Greater Seoul Metropolitan Area(Seoul, Gyeonggi, Incheon).
3. With the extenstion of visa-waiver period and the addition of Gangwon Province to travel permit areas,
- Yangyang International Airport is expected to see more tourists seeking to engage in winter sports and visit tourist sites such as Naksansa Temple in the Korea east coast. Chinese group tourists will also stay longer in the province, which is anticipated to vitalize tourism in Gangwon Province.
4. Gangwon Province is making two major preparations to accommodate chinese group tourist!
○ Expansion of Tourism Infrastructure
- Accomodations: Chinse TV channels in rooms
- Tourist Attractions: Chinese language information on signs and boards
- Restaurants: Install talbes and chairs and Chinese translations of the menu
- Traditional Markets: Chinese translations of product and price information
○ Development of Customized Tour Products
- Development of Naksansa Temple, Seoraksan Mountain, Jeongdongjin, Alpensia Ski Jump Stand, Daegwallyeong Sheep Farm, Ski Tour Products, small-scale shopping areas such as traditional markets and preformance products.
5. Gangwon Province will continues to open air routes to and from China in 2016: Gangwon Province will open regular air routes connecting Yangyang and major Chinese cities, concentrated in April and May.
- from April 24 to June 10 and from September 1 to December 31: regular route between Yangyang and Shanghai(2 flights per week)
- from June 11 to August 31: regular route between Yangyang and Shanghai(7 flights per week)
- May: regular routes between Yangyang and Shenyang, Yangyang and Guangzhou, Yangyang and Zhangjiajie, Yangyang and Jeju